Monday, July 6, 2009

International Celebrations

Man, do I enjoy fireworks! I am a fortunate person in that I usually get to celebrate Canada Day, then head over to our "home across the pond" and celebrate Independence Day with our fantastic friends using their various methods and means. I tell you, I love my homeland, but those Americans sure do know how to put on some fireworks displays! This year we hit the jackpot and were invited to the exclusive "pyro-mortician's" home party, where I witnessed a display that compared to none other than Disney itself. It was OUT OF THIS WORLD!!

It was not only the best I've seen, but after this work of art, we got a chance to talk to the "pyro-mortician" and his team. They explained, with great enthusiasm, all the "behind the scenes" physics- and chemistry-like details and the preparation for the event. I had no idea what was involved. They actually have pyrotechnician licenses! They sit and sift through catalogues, plan colours and reactions, then make their order. The day of the event they go out onto the vast amount of front lawn and set up each and every piece. (I'm still kicking myself that I didn't bring my camera!) Then once the sun has set and darkness falls upon their party, they gear up in their pyro-uniforms and work like "mad dogs", knowing just how each rocket is going to lift off and what it is going to do, for the duration of the event. It was just as interesting for me to watch them perform, in rhythm, a dance of fire like I've never witnessed. I don't know if they realize how amazing they looked as they worked in perfect sync with each other to create such a thing of beauty! I now understand the origin of the word "pyrotechnician": a performer capable of dazzling virtuosity; ...in the art of fire. They truly were artists in my mind.

What does this have to do with technology in education? Well I am on vacation...and it is my blog:) But if I had to make a educational connection I would definitely see a place for the art of fireworks in Grade 4 Light and Sound. And one could link it to art, physics and chemistry courses alike. And of course I need to say that I definitely would NOT promote pyrotechnic creation in schools:) There are some pretty neat websites surrounding the history of pyrotechnics. Here are a couple:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/fireworks/

http://cc.oulu.fi/~kempmp/pyro.html


This blog post is dedicated to my Friends from Across the Pond. You are a wonderful bunch and we truly value your friendship and all the things you do for us to make us feel at home.

Thank you for your endless and thoughtful hospitality. There is nothing like it. Here's to homemade strawberry jam, lobster cookouts, fresh out of the oven brownies doused with homemade - yes, again, homemade - vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce (to hell with Brewsters!), driving here, driving there, putting up with a wet dog, loaned cars, boat tune-ups, doggie ladder fix-ups, the best wings in the world, driving here, driving there, putting up with a wet dog, boat ride invitations, block parties, sloppy duck eighties bands, Extreme Home Makeover sightings, deck parties, driving here, driving there, putting up with a wet dog, elk ears and most of all the stories told and made.
Love ya!
Lynda, Will and the Keela-Monster

No comments:

Post a Comment